The story of the man who died from contracting botulism as part of an outbreak in northern California hit the news recently, making food poisoning and safe food handling procedures a national discussion. In total, nine people were hospitalized as a result of becoming ill with botulism after consuming nacho cheese sauce purchased from a gas station near Sacramento in April 2017.
Two residents of Orange County have become ill with botulism, a potentially deadly illness linked to the consumption of canned and fermented goods. One of the residents was confirmed to be suffering from botulism by the Orange County Health Care Agency. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health suspects the two cases are linked to the consumption of deer antler tea obtained in March of 2017 and urge all individuals who have this tea in their possession to dispose of it.
Not all instances of food poisoning are the result of eating contaminated food. Dietary supplements and beverages can contain harmful bacteria that can cause an individual to suffer from illnesses like listeriosis, salmonellosis, norovirus, and botulism. Alcoholic beverages are a bit different than other types of beverage because they are fermented and distilled, which kills any harmful bacteria contained within the liquid. This does not mean that is is impossible to become ill after consuming an alcoholic beverage.