During surgery, the patient’s body needs to be kept at a safe, consistent temperature. When the patient’s body temperature drops below 96.8 degrees Fahrenheit, he or she can suffer from perioperative hypothermia, a condition associated with blood loss, an increased risk of infection, and an increased mortality rate.
A heater-cooler is a device placed inside a patient’s body during surgery to keep his or her body temperature at a consistent, safe level. They are most commonly used in surgeries on the heart or lungs. The devices control patients’ temperatures by moving water through a small unit where it is air-cooled to an appropriate temperature.
Two residents of Orange County have become ill with botulism, a potentially deadly illness linked to the consumption of canned and fermented goods. One of the residents was confirmed to be suffering from botulism by the Orange County Health Care Agency. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health suspects the two cases are linked to the consumption of deer antler tea obtained in March of 2017 and urge all individuals who have this tea in their possession to dispose of it.
Most Americans love their pets as if they were members of their families. Dogs, cats, and other domestic animals enjoy high quality veterinary care, organic pet food, and a range of products from accessories to toys to products to keep them safe. A pet’s illness or death can be quite traumatic to the animal’s owner.
Not all instances of food poisoning are the result of eating contaminated food. Dietary supplements and beverages can contain harmful bacteria that can cause an individual to suffer from illnesses like listeriosis, salmonellosis, norovirus, and botulism. Alcoholic beverages are a bit different than other types of beverage because they are fermented and distilled, which kills any harmful bacteria contained within the liquid. This does not mean that is is impossible to become ill after consuming an alcoholic beverage.
In most cases, food poisoning occurs because of an individual or group’s negligence. This can be a restaurant failing to maintain a sterile kitchen environment, a produce manufacture failing to clean produce thoroughly before packaging it, a grocery store failing to remove a recalled product from its shelves, or even the host of a party leaving food at room temperature for hours, allowing harmful bacteria to develop in it. These are all examples of ignorance around food safety or callous handling of food products.
The terms “food poisoning” and “foodborne illness” are frequently used interchangeably online and in face-to-face conversations. Generally, they are understood to refer to the same thing, but the truth is that they actually refer to two distinct concepts. Foodborne illness is any illness caused by eating contaminated food.
The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have linked a recent outbreak of Hepatitis A to frozen strawberries imported to the country by the International Company for Agricultural Production and Processing (ICAPP). The strawberries were received at five distribution centers throughout the nation and sold under various regional brand names.
In Iowa, food poisoning victims have a new resource to turn toward for help: IowaSic, the new statewide food poisoning hotline. This hotline is a joint initiative between the Iowa Department of Public Health and the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals. The hotline is intended to help these agencies identify potential food poisoning outbreaks in the state before they occur.
Sometimes, food poisoning occurs as the result of a foreign particle in the victim's food, rather than due to the presence of harmful bacteria like Salmonella or Listeria. In certain cases, the cause of illness is the bacteria that enters the food through these foreign particles and in other cases, the victim suffers a unique type of illness or injury due to the specific contaminant.