What To Do If You Have Been Hurt at Work
No matter if you have been hurt at work in Cook County, Kane County, Will County, McHenry County, Dupage or Lake County, you have rights. By law, employers must carry workers compensation insurance for their employees and pay benefits to workers who are legitimately injured while doing their jobs. But you must take quick action to get what you deserve.
- Report the injury to your supervisor immediately and seek medical attention. Be sure to keep copies of all medical reports, tests, procedures, prescriptions and bills.
- Keep all copies of paperwork related in any way to your injury and workers compensation claim.
- Contact our lawyers at Newland & Newland, LLP. We encourage our clients to call us right away so that we can be involved in every step of the process of your workers compensation claim.
- Make a list of witnesses and their addresses. This may be helpful if the employer is contesting that the work injury took place.
- Keep in mind that employers and insurance companies often times do not calculate Temporary Total Disability (TTD) or Permanent Partial Disability (PPD) properly and it can cost you thousands of dollars.
Other Situations to Consider
Work-At-Home-Injuries – An employer is responsible for injuries that take place during work, even while working in the home.
Delivery Drivers/Travel Injuries–An employer is responsible for injuries that occur while traveling for employment. This includes travel such as business trips, work deliveries and industry conferences.
Heart Attack and Stroke – These conditions are also often times covered under the Workers Compensation Act.
Third-Party Lawsuits – Even if you are receiving workers compensation benefits, you may also be able to sue a third-party whose negligence caused your injury at work (Example: a machine manufacturer whose faulty equipment led to your injury).
For more than 50 combined years, Newland & Newland, LLP has been helping people just like you. We have offices conveniently located in Arlington Heights, Crystal Lake, Waukegan, Libertyville and Chicago. Injuries on the job can impair your lifestyle and the wellbeing of your entire family. Newland & Newland, LLP will help you get control of your life after you have been hurt. Call or e-mail for a free initial consultation today. The Newlands look forward to hearing from you and will set up an appointment that is mutually convenient and will even go to your home or hospital.