121 S. Wilke Road, Suite 301, Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Home and Hospital Visits for Your Convenience

FREE Phone & Video Consultations

Home and Hospital Visits for Your Convenience

Call for a FREE Phone Consultation


Video Consultations Also Available

The Risk of Artificial Joints

Posted on in Defective Medical Devices

Artificial joints fail 10 percent of the time, according to the Consumer Reports Safe Patient Project. Surgical mistakes, complications, and product defects can all make a patient's life more difficult.

Every major hip and knee implant manufacturer has recalled a product in the last ten years. Sadly, if you have been the victim of a faulty implant, you and your insurance might have to foot the costs of your medical expenses in the short term.

While some symptoms appear right away, others might not begin to bother a patient until several months later. Common symptoms of a failed implant include swelling, stiffness, instability, and general pain. Metal implants that break down over time can cause serious pain for patients. Joint surfaces rubbing against one another can wear down the implant surface, causing loosening and bone loss.

Those who suffer injuries from the first round of a knee or hip implant may have to get revision surgery to fix the original mistakes and defective devices. According to specialists in the field, only 80 percent of patients who go through revision knee surgery will have good or excellent results. The remaining 20 percent can suffer from pain for years afterwards. Despite the fact that so many patients have had issues with knee implants or hip implants, there are no warranties offered by manufacturers. And because of this, the Safe Patient Project launched the outreach campaign to call for greater accountability on behalf of implant manufacturers.

A patient suffering from a defective device could find their life course altered forever after an implant surgery. Serious pain, discomfort, and further medical care are just a few of the unanticipated problems that a patient might deal with after having a knee or hip implant installed. If you have been injured as a result of a defective medical device, you need to contact an Illinois personal injury attorney.

Elite Lawyer Badge Illinois State Bar Association Illinois Trial Lawyers Asscociation NACBA Manta Member BBB North western suburban bar association 10 Best Personal Injury Law Firms Elite Lawyer
Back to Top