121 S. Wilke Road, Suite 301, Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Home and Hospital Visits for Your Convenience

FREE Phone & Video Consultations

Home and Hospital Visits for Your Convenience

Call for a FREE Phone Consultation


Video Consultations Also Available

Frequently Asked Questions About Workers’ Compensation in Illinois

Posted on April 13, 2021 in Workers' Compensation

Arlington Heights workers compensation lawyersIf you or a loved one were hurt on the job in Illinois, you may be interested in filing a workers’ compensation claim. Workers’ compensation benefits reimburse an injured worker for medical bills and part of the workers’ lost income while the worker is recovering. However, getting the compensation you need after a work injury is not always straightforward. Knowing your rights and what the workers’ compensation process entails is key to getting the compensation you need.

What Types of Work Injuries Qualify for Workers’ Compensation Coverage?

According to Illinois law, workers’ compensation is available to most employees who are injured at work. Workers’ compensation is “no-fault” meaning that the employee does not have to prove that the injury was the employer’s fault to be eligible for compensation. As long as the work injury was caused or made worse during the course of employment, you should be covered by workers’ comp. An individual may not be entitled to workers’ compensation if the injury was self-inflicted, caused by a violation of company policy, or occurred during the commission of a crime. Injuries caused in a sudden work accident such as a fall as well as repetitive stress injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome or back injuries may qualify for workers’ compensation coverage.

How Much Compensation Can I Get for a Work Injury?

Medical expenses including costs related to emergency room treatment, hospitalization, and doctor’s appointments are covered by workers’ compensation. Rehabilitative treatment such as physical and occupational therapy may also be covered. If you cannot work while you are recovering, you may receive two-thirds of your gross weekly wage. If your injury prevents you from working your typical job but you can work a lower-earning position or “light duty” job, you may receive two-thirds of the difference between your previous wages and current wages.

Can I File a Lawsuit in Addition to My Workers’ Compensation Claim?

Workers' compensation covers medical expenses and part of your lost income. There may also be a chance to receive additional compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. Illinois law prevents workers from suing their employers. However, if your work injury was caused by a third party’s actions, you may have a valid personal injury claim. A personal injury claim may allow you to recover your full lost wages and medical expenses as well as compensation for non-financial damages such as your pain and suffering.

Contact an Arlington Heights Workers’ Compensation Attorney

If you were hurt in a work accident or you have suffered a repetitive motion injury because of your work duties, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation. You may also be able to file a third-party lawsuit. To learn more, contact a Rolling Meadows workers’ compensation lawyer at Newland & Newland, LLP. Call 847-797-8000 for a free consultation.




  • Top 100
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • Illinois Trial Lawyers Asscociation
  • Manta Member
  • BBB
  • North western suburban bar association
  • 10 Best Personal Injury Law Firms
  • Elite Lawyer
  • Expertise
Back to Top