121 S. Wilke Road, Suite 301, Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Home and Hospital Visits for Your Convenience

FREE Phone & Video Consultations

Home and Hospital Visits for Your Convenience

Call for a FREE Phone Consultation


Video Consultations Also Available

UPDATED: Types of Soft Tissue Injuries You Can Suffer in a Slip or Fall

Posted on November 02, 2021 in Slip and Fall

Rolling Meadows Slip and Fall Accidnet AttorneyOriginally published: July 7, 2018 -- Updated: November 1, 2021

UPDATE: In addition to understanding the types of injuries that can occur in a slip and fall accident, victims will need to determine who may be held liable for these injuries and the types of damages they may be able to recover. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help identify the liable parties and ensure that a victim takes the correct steps to pursue compensation.

When slip and fall injuries take place on someone else’s property, the property owner may be held liable based on their failure to take the proper measures to protect visitors’ safety. A property owner or the tenant in control of a property, such as the owner of a retail store that leases space from a property owner, is responsible for addressing any hazards on the property. If damaged walking surfaces are not repaired properly, spills or wet floors are not cleaned up correctly, or warnings are not provided to ensure that visitors understand their risks of injury, a property owner or tenant may be held liable for injuries that occur as a result.

A victim may be able to recover compensation for multiple types of damages. These damages may include the costs of emergency medical treatment, surgery, physical therapy, or other forms of care, as well as income lost while a person was recovering from their injuries and the physical and emotional pain and suffering they have experienced. 

If you have suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident, Newland & Newland, LLP can help you take action to receive financial compensation. We will gather evidence to show that the negligence of a property owner or tenant was the cause of your injuries, and we will fully document your damages to ensure that you will be fully compensated. Contact our Arlington Heights premises liability attorneys today at 847-797-8000 to set up a free consultation.

When you slip and fall, there are a lot of ways you can be injured. Some of them are fairly minor – you might suffer a small cut or a bruise from the impact. You can also suffer a serious injury like a traumatic brain injury or a spinal cord injury.

Soft tissue injuries are injuries to the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. These injuries can vary widely; when you suffer a soft tissue injury, you could suffer a relatively minor injury that only requires rest and a cold compress to soothe the pain or you can suffer an injury severe enough to warrant surgery. Three distinct types of soft tissue injury you could suffer are:


A strain is a tear or severe stretch to a muscle or the tendon that connects it to a nearby bone. Muscle strains are also known as muscle pulls and muscle tears.

Muscle strains can damage the blood vessels in the tendon and muscle, causing pain, bruising, and local bleeding. A muscle strain can render a muscle unusable and cause the victim to suffer weakness in the affected area.

Usually, a muscle strain only needs at-home treatment. Treatments include the RICE method (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and supporting the affected area with a bandage or splint. Sometimes, treating a strain requires physical therapy. When a muscle is torn, surgery can be necessary.


A sprain is a stretch or tear to a ligament, one of the bands of tissue that connect two or more bones in a joint. Sprain symptoms can be quite similar to strain symptoms, and include pain at the injury site, loss of use of the joint, swelling, and bruising.

Also like a strain, a sprain typically only needs home remedies like RICE to heal. When pain is severe, the limb buckles with each joint movement, or the patient cannot bear weight on the affected joint, the patient should seek medical attention.


A contusion is another word for a bruise. When an area of the body suffers a blow, the blood capillaries directly beneath the skin at that spot can be ruptured, causing blood to leak into the skin tissue and cause it to become discolored. Bruises are painful, but they are generally not severe enough to warrant medical attention. When a bruise does not go away and instead, becomes firm and grows, the patient could have a hematoma or be suffering from myositis ossificans, both of which require medical intervention.

Work with an Experienced Itasca Slip and Fall Lawyer

If you suffered a soft tissue injury in an accident that could have been prevented if another party had taken greater care to protect you from harm, you have the right to pursue monetary compensation for your related damages through a personal injury claim. To learn more about pursuing compensation this way, contact our team of experienced slip and fall lawyers at Newland & Newland, LLP today to set up your initial legal consultation with us. We serve clients in the Arlington Heights, Palatine, Rolling Meadows, Libertyville, Mundelein, Buffalo Grove, Schaumburg, Elk Grove, and Itasca areas.

  • Top 100
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • Illinois Trial Lawyers Asscociation
  • Manta Member
  • BBB
  • North western suburban bar association
  • 10 Best Personal Injury Law Firms
  • Elite Lawyer
  • Expertise
Back to Top